Google announced Friday that they will be removing the sidebar section of paid ads, which will impact the performance of many campaigns, particularly for dentists. There will, however, be a fourth top-page ad for “highly commercial” queries. This will be an update from the current three top-page ads. Big Buzz is monitoring this to implement in current clients’ AdWords strategies.
Who will be impacted most?
- Dentists in competitive markets, such as Phoenix, San Diego and Colorado Springs
- Dentists with low ad spend budgets, at or under $500/month
- Dentists who spread their ad spend budget across too many services
What you need to know about the change:
- With a fourth ad being included in the top-ad listings, organic results will be pushed down slightly.
- Expect your ad impressions to go down since the number of available ad slots has been reduced from eleven to seven.
- Competition is expected to increase, as there are fewer ad positions available.
- The average cost-per-click will increase. (No doubt Google made this change to make more money from AdWords.)
- Only ads that show up on desktop computers are affected, not those appearing on mobile phones or tablets.
- Search queries such as “Wisdom Teeth Extractions” don’t appear to be considered “highly commercial” while queries like “Wisdom Teeth Extractions Cost” are, and are getting that fourth ad spot.
- Expect a slight loss of online market share due to the rise in competition and decrease in overall impressions.
- The quality of landing pages will become more important for reducing costs and increasing chances of top-page “worthiness”.
How can you address the change?
- Increase your ad spend budget to improve your competitiveness for the top positions.
- Target queries that are closely related to an intent-to-purchase so that a fourth ad becomes available.
- Reduce the number of services you advertise so that more budget can be spent promoting top services.
- Ensure that your most important ad groups have landing pages with high quality scores.
- Contact Big Buzz today for a complimentary assessment to optimize your current online advertising campaign for the best results. Simply enter the coupon code BESTADS into the “Additional Information” field in this form.