Word of mouth is one of the most powerful marketing tactics out there. Are you using it? Encouraging it? Looking for it?
Ann Handley, Chief Content Officer at MarketingProfs has made it easy for you to get started. A friend of hers, author Andy Sernovitz sent her a revised copy of his 2006 edition of Word of Mouth Marketing: How Smart Companies Get People Talking, and she conveniently pulled out his 16 “Sure-Thing, Must-Do, Awfully Easy” methods to word of mouth marketing.
1. Search the web for people talking about you.
2. Assign someone to join those conversations.
3. Create a blog.
4. Make a new rule: Ask “Is it buzzworthy?” in every meeting.
5. Come up with one buzzworthy topic. Keep it simple.
6. Put something on your front door (if you have one) that reminds people to tell their friends about you.
7. Let your “talkers” sign up for a private newsletter.
8. Pick one easy way to track word of mouth.
9. Put a “tell-a-friend” form on every page of your website.
10. Put a special offer in easily forwardable mail.
11. Add a small gift and a word of mouth tool to every package you sell.
12. Hire a private sale for your talkers.
13. Apologize for mistakes and solve problems fast.
14. Partner with a charity.
15. Do something unexpected.
16. Be nice.