So you want to write a blog? At Big Buzz, we can help you create engaging and interesting content just right for you and your brand. Once the blog puzzle pieces have been sorted out, you will have created something worthy hanging on the everlasting wall of the internet for the world to view and appreciate.
Below, we have outlined some of the things you might want to consider when writing your blog. Read up and blog on!
How to get started?
- Put time in your calendar so that writing your blog becomes a daily/weekly/monthly to-do. Having it in there on a regular basis makes it more of a routine task.
- Look to content that you have already created: presentations, email blasts, newsletters. What can be repurposed for a blog?
What to keep in mind?
- Blogs should be between 250-500 words, but if you have a quick thought you want to share, don’t be afraid to just post a short blurb here and there. The important thing is to keep your content fresh.
- Your writing style can be casual, and conversational, as if you’re talking to your readers.
- You want your blog to look good too! Use high quality images to make the content more visually interesting.
- People may not know that your blog has been updated. Post a link to Google +, LinkedIn and Facebook.
Content Tips and Ideas
- Bullet points, lists and steps are very easy ways to digest information. Example: 10 Tips for XYZ, 5 Steps to Achieving XYZ, 3 Ways to Get XYZ.
- Myth busting is a great way to generate content. Clear up a common misperception in your industry, or clarify something that is often misunderstood by clients.
- Take advantage of the seasons and use them as inspiration. Example: The 12 Days of Dental Practice Dilemmas, Solved!
Factoring in SEO
- Link parts of your blog to other pages of your website or social media pages.
- Use long-tail keywords as a way of building out your content. Examples: “dental office branding” or “medical website design Denver.” Be careful not to over-stuff your content with keywords, though.
- Use long-tail keywords in subheads, image file names and your meta description.
- If you want to drive more traffic to your website for particular services, use your blog to promote that information with relevant keywords.
- Original content, rather than reposting published content, will improve your search ranking.