[vc_row][vc_column][gem_youtube height=”350px” video_id=”zOwvrtl3vKA”][vc_column_text]Whether your practice handles digital marketing internally or you are working with an agency, it’s important that you consistently gauge the performance and success of your efforts by monitoring their metrics. Doing so will enable you to see a more complete picture of your marketing presence, allowing you to reallocate spend into the areas that are successful and improve or eliminate those that aren’t working.
You might be saying to yourself, “We don’t really do digital marketing, is this article for me?” If so, the answer is a resounding yes. If your practice has a website, you’re already doing digital marketing!
The challenge in assessing your metrics lies in the amount of raw data available online, even just about your own website. Finding a starting point can be difficult. Fortunately, we consolidated the most important metrics to keep an eye on when it comes to your website, as well as one for Facebook (which we highly recommend utilizing
if you don’t already). Read on for the breakdown.
The following website metrics can be viewed at no cost using Google Analytics. Here’s how to get started
if you do not have an account.
- Organic Traffic. This is a measure of the traffic that has visited your site through search engine results for which you have not paid. The higher the organic traffic, the more often Google is matching your site up with the queries of potential patients. If traffic is low, you can tweak the content of your website to be more visible to search engines, a practice known as search engine optimization (SEO). To put a number to it, a desirable target for organic traffic is around 300-500 users per month.
- Keywords. Keywords are the words or phrases featured on your site that match up with the search queries of those using Google. For example, veneers might be a popular search term in your area, and if you have a well-built page with valuable information about your veneer services, your website is more likely to show up. Look up your monthly organic clicks by keyword to determine how many people are finding you by searching for the keywords and choosing your website. If it’s underperforming, look up popular keywords with a tool like Google’s Keyword Planner and integrate them naturally into your website. Forgo any suggestions to stuff keywords anywhere on your website or you could be penalized by Google.
- Events. Events are essentially actions taken by website visitors that are beneficial to you. This could be anything from filling out an appointment request form to clicking the listed phone number to call your office. Take stock of the available events on your website and calculate how many are being completed each month. If you are happy with the number of leads or appointments you are receiving by these means, no further action is required. If not, think about how you can make them easier to use, for instance, a shorter appointment request form or a more prominently placed, clickable phone number.
- Referral Traffic. This is the traffic that is being directed to your website through other sources, such as social media pages or listings on review sites like Yelp. If traffic is low, create a Yelp account and ask satisfied patients to leave you a review. The more reviews you accumulate, the more your practice will be seen by potential patients on Yelp, ideally meaning more clicks through to your website.
- Facebook Engagement. Engagement refers to the number of likes, shares or comments your Facebook posts are receiving. The average monthly engagement rate can be calculated easily using this formula, and the average engagement rate is 0.09%. If you are significantly below that number, post more frequently, include more engaging imagery like team members or happy patients (with their written permission on a HIPAA compliance release form) and drive conversation by asking questions or posting polls.
By regularly checking your metrics and making adjustments accordingly, you can improve the success of your tactics.
If you’d like to learn more or get a free, no-obligation assessment of your current website and how to optimize it to drive new patient traffic and current patient engagement, email our CEO now at email@example.com to get scheduled.
Big Buzz is an agency delivering focused marketing efforts for dentists and dental teams nationwide. CEO Wendy O’Donovan Phillips is the author of KABOOM!: The Method Used By Top Dentists for Explosive Marketing Results, has been published in The American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry magazine and has been quoted in Forbes, The Washington Post, ABC News and Chicago Tribune. The American Dental Association hired Phillips as an expert consultant in marketing. She regularly lectures for dental organizations and associations in front of audiences ranging from 25 to 5,000 attendees. Agency awards and accolades include recognition for excellence by the American Marketing Association, Best Advertising Agency and Best Web Developer in Denver by Expertise, and Top Advertising and Marketing Agency by Clutch. www.bigbuzzinc.com[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][/vc_column][/vc_row]